This fish is referred to as an ancient fish that lived during the time of the dinosaurs. Because this fish existed hundreds of millions of years ago, these sturgeon fish eggs cost tens too. What’s more, the uniqueness of this fish?
- The sturgeon has a long snout and body with scales on its head.
- There are about 27 types of sturgeon in the world. The largest type is the beluga.
- In the mouth of this fish, there are four strands of tentacles whose function is to determine the presence of prey at the bottom of the water.
- Its main diet is small marine animals such as shellfish, shrimp, and fish.
- Sturgeons do not have teeth. So, it eats food by sucking the body of its prey.
- Sturgeons live in rivers, lakes, temperate waters, and waters in the northern part of the Earth.
- The length of an adult sturgeon is about 2 meters. In fact, some types of sturgeon can reach 6 meters in length or almost the same as the white shark.
- Sturgeon fish can be consumed from meat to eggs.
- The female sturgeon do not lay eggs every year. It only starts laying eggs after 7 to 20 years.
- Several types of sturgeon are cultivated for their eggs.
- Sturgeon fish eggs or caviar are usually processed into luxury and rare foods. Caviar contains various vitamins. It was expensive!
- The most expensive type of caviar is beluga caviar. Not surprisingly, sturgeon fish are classified as the most expensive fish in the world.
- Beluga caviar-producing sturgeons are found in the Caspian Sea.
- Generally, the lifespan of a sturgeon is around 60 years. In fact, some types of sturgeon can live more than 100 years.
- Unfortunately, this ancient fish is threatened with extinction. The population is decreasing due to overfishing and water pollution in their habitat.
Baca juga: Do You Know? Barracuda Fish, Shiny Eaters