Past perfect tense adalah tense yang digunakan untuk menyatakan suatu kejadian sudah selesai sebelum kejadian lainnya di masa lalu. Nah kejadian yang sudah selesai di masa lalu itu dapat terjadi berulang maupun hanya sekali. Oh iya, tense ini juga digunakan dalam conditional sentence type 3.
Positive (Verbal): S + had + V3 + Complement
Positive (Nominal): S + had + been + Adj/noun/adverb
Negative (Verbal): S + had + not + V3 + Complement
Negative (Nominal): S + had + not + been + Adj/noun/adverb
Interrogative (Verbal): Had + S + V3 + Complement
Interrogative (Nominal): Had + S + been + Adj/noun/adverb
- Had they been kind to you?
- I had come to your house.
- We hadn’t bought any food.
- Complement –> lanjutan dari kalimat/pelengkap kalimat.
- Had digunakan untuk semua jenis subjek.
Penggunaan Past Perfect Tense
Menjelaskan kejadian di masa lalu yang sudah selesai sebelum kejadian di masa lalu lainnya terjadi. Dilansir dari Wall Street English, kita dapat menggunakan formula After (simple past tense + after + past perfect tense), Before (past perfect tense + before/by the time + simple past tense), serta When (when + simple past tense, past perfect tense).
- When I went to the supermarket yesterday, the vegetables had run out.
- I studied English after my mother had bought me a new English book.
- He had already taken a bath by the time she came to my house.
Menunjukkan intensitas sebuah kejadian (seberapa sering sesuatu terjadi di masa lampau).
- She had met him twice before she knew who is he.
- I had attended an English course every week until 2014.
Digunakan dalam reported speech (indirect speech).
- She said that she had been to Bandung twice.
- A spokesman for the civil defense department said that they were so sad that happened. They had rescued many other snakes and animals before. They not sure why the snake had died.
Digunakan dalam conditional sentence type 3 (If + past perfect, would/should/could/might + have + V3).
- If I had had enough money, I would have bought a new house last year.
- If you had told me the breakthrough earlier, I would have completed those events yesterday.
- Adian would have passed the test if he had studied hard.